Taco restaurant food poisoning
Over 50 people have become sick after eating at a Chicago taco restaurant. At least five lawsuits have been filed against Avondale taqueria following a Salmonella outbreak that the Chicago Department of Public Health said sent 17 to the hospital. According to city records, on Sept. 8, inspectors reported raw beef and raw shelled eggs were stored above ready-to-eat sliced lettuce and found other items stored at improper temperatures.
Man sentenced for fraud
A former Illinois railroad engineer has been sentenced to two and half years in federal prison for fraudulently obtaining disability benefits. Scott Carlberg managed a tanning salon in Wisconsin for six years while at the same time receiving occupational disability benefits from the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board. In his application for benefits, Carlberg claimed he could no longer perform any type of work due to numerous limitations including short-term memory loss and poor concentration. He was also ordered to pay $279,000 in restitution to the retirement board.
Lawn equipment stolen from Bears complex
Police are looking for who is responsible for stealing a substantial amount of lawn equipment from the Soldier Field campus. Riding mowers and John Deere “Gators” were taken from an enclosed area near the stadium. Fences that surrounded the equipment were torn from their foundation to access the equipment. According to a spokesman, the estimated value of the equipment is $100,000 and belonged to a contractor, not the Chicago Bears or the Chicago Park District.