(The Center Square) – North Carolina on Wednesday took a significant step to codify the signature education initiative of the president.
The House of Representatives gave its override to the veto of first-term Democratic Gov. Josh Stein for the Educational Choice for Children Act, known also as House Bill 87. The bill, next up for the Senate where override is expected in a chamber 30-19 majority Republicans with one vacancy, aligns the state with the federal tax credit scholarship program.
In short, North Carolina is a step closer to being the fifth divided government – potentially joining Alaska, Kansas, Kentucky and Nevada – of the 29 thus far having officially opted into or taken legislative action to participate in the program put forth by second-term Republican President Donald Trump.
Passage was 73-46, with all 71 Republicans and former Democrats now independent Reps. Carla Cunningham and Nasif Majeed of Mecklenburg County in support. Majeed had been against the measure at passage in July. Rep. Shelly Willingham, D-Edgecombe, was in favor in the summer and had an excused absence for the override vote.
“Today’s override was another major win for North Carolina students and parents,” said Rep. Destin Hall, R-Caldwell, the speaker of the House. “Governor Stein and Democrats tried to stand in the way of giving families more control over their children’s education, but Republicans, yet again, stood firmly on the side of educational freedom. This vote was about trusting parents and giving students more choices, because when our kids succeed, North Carolina succeeds.”
Under the Trump plan signed into law July 4 in what is known as the One Big Beautiful Bill, a federal tax credit of up to $1,700 can start in 2027. Rep. Brian Biggs, R-Randolph, last summer told colleagues on the floor the cost to North Carolina is zero.
“These are all federal dollars,” he said.
When sent to the governor, the Senate president pro tempore signaled his chamber’s solid support.
“North Carolina has been a leader in parental school choice for more than a decade,” said Sen. Phil Berger, R-Rockingham. “By opting into President Trump’s signature school choice initiative, we’re giving North Carolina’s families access to additional resources for sending their child to a school that best meets their individual educational needs. The school choice movement in our state strengthens our public schools and provides families with robust educational options.”





