(The Center Square) – Virginia Gov. Abigail Spanberger has formally entered the state case reviewing the proposed $67 billion merger of Dominion Energy and NextEra Energy.
Spanberger and Chief Energy Officer Josephus Allmond filed a notice of participation Monday with the State Corporation Commission, following through on the governor’s earlier announcement that she would seek a role in the case.
The filing says Spanberger and Allmond will participate as respondents in the proceeding and lays out several areas they intend to examine as regulators review the proposed acquisition.
Those include the effect of the deal on Virginia’s utility workforce, energy affordability, clean energy procurement and development, and corporate governance.
The administration argues the transaction could bring significant changes to Virginia’s economy, labor market and regulation of electric utilities.
In the filing, Spanberger and Allmond said their participation is intended to ensure regulators have a full record as they consider potential consequences for employees and customers if the acquisition is approved.
They also said they plan to address what they describe as deficiencies in the companies’ application and whether the transaction could jeopardize affordable electric service or Virginia utility jobs.
“As governor, I remain skeptical of the benefits this merger would deliver to Virginia – particularly if those benefits come at the expense of affordability, existing jobs, or meeting our homegrown clean energy goals,” Spanberger said Monday.
As respondents, Spanberger and Allmond can participate directly in the proceeding, raise concerns and request information about the proposed transaction.
Dominion, NextEra and related companies filed their joint petition with the commission July 15 seeking approval of the acquisition.
The proposed merger has drawn scrutiny over its potential effect on electric rates and Virginia utility workers.
Spanberger had announced earlier this month that she intended to intervene, saying she wanted Virginians represented during the review.
Monday’s filing formally puts that plan into action.
The SCC has not ruled on the companies’ application.




