spot_img

Trump administration halts New York offshore wind project

(The Center Square) — The Trump administration has halted a massive New York offshore wind project as it conducts a financial and regulatory review of plans to erect towering turbines along the nation’s coastlines.

The Interior Department issued an order earlier this week calling for the immediate halt of construction on the Empire Wind Project “until further review,” citing new information suggesting that the Biden administration “rushed through its approval without sufficient analysis.”

“Approval for the project was rushed through by the prior administration without sufficient analysis or consultation among the relevant agencies as relates to the potential effects from the project,” Interior Secretary Doug Burgum wrote in a letter to the Bureau of Ocean Management, which oversees federal offshore lease permits. “This halt is to remain in effect until further review is completed to address these serious deficiencies.”

The project’s developer, Norway-based Equinor, said Thursday that it was complying with the Trump administration’s order to halt the project but is considering a potential legal challenge.

“Upon receipt of the order, immediate steps were taken by Empire and its contractors to initiate suspension of relevant marine activities, ensuring the safety of workers and the environment, ” the company said in a statement. “Empire is engaging with relevant authorities to clarify this matter and is considering its legal remedies, including appealing the order.”

- Advertisement -

Gov. Kathy Hochul blasted the decision, saying Empire Wind 1 already employs hundreds of New Yorkers, including 1,000 “good-paying union jobs” as part of a growing sector that she claimed has “already spurred significant economic development and private investment.”

“This fully federally permitted project has already put shovels in the ground before the President’s executive orders — it’s exactly the type of bipartisan energy solution we should be working on,” she said in a statement. “As Governor, I will not allow this federal overreach to stand. I will fight this every step of the way to protect union jobs, affordable energy and New York’s economic future.”

New York’s Empire Wind is one of several offshore wind projects under development off the Atlantic coastline that could be impacted by the BOEM’s review of federal leases. President Donald Trump had campaigned on a promise to end the offshore wind industry, arguing it is too expensive and hurts birds and marine animals. He previously issued an order suspending new leasing for wind projects in federal waters.

Massachusetts is working with Rhode Island on three projects totalling 2,678 megawatts of offshore wind, which, when completed, will be capable of providing enough electricity to power more than 1.4 million homes.

In August, the U.S. Department of Energy awarded $389 million to Massachusetts and several New England states for improvements to the power grid aimed at significantly increasing the region’s capacity for offshore wind.

The Power Up New England plan — a collaboration between Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont and several utilities — calls for expanding and upgrading the shared interconnection points for undersea cables that bring power from offshore wind turbines to the regional grid.

- Advertisement -

But the push to develop wind comes amid increasing turbulence in the nation’s nascent green industry. Even before the Trump administration’s scrutiny of the projects, developers were scaling back — or in some cases backing out of projects — citing supply chain disruptions, higher construction costs and a lack of tax credits from the states and federal government.

Some states, like New Jersey, have struggled to go it alone on offshore wind and have ended up scrapping some projects.

spot_img
spot_img

Hot this week

Health care company agrees to pay $22.5 million to settle claims of over billing

A health care company agreed to pay nearly $22.5...

Business association ‘disappointed’ by WA L&I’s proposed workers comp rate hike

(The Center Square) – The Association of Washington Business...

Men of Color Expo – Celebrating Men of Excellence

Tinker Federal Credit Union & PPBC Present Men of Color...

Sports betting bill still alive in Georgia House

(The Center Square) – A bill that would allow...

Sports betting expert offers advice on paying taxes for gambling winnings

(The Center Square) – Tax season is underway, and...

New York lawmakers approve ‘sanctuary’ state proposal

(The Center Square) — New York Democrats are moving...

California lawmakers discuss redistricting’s impact on House

Editor's note: This is part of a series on...

NASA reorganizes to accelerate Moon Base, lunar programs

NASA announced a reorganization of the agency Friday, restructuring...

Caddo Commission approves November vote on $60M sports complex

(The Center Square) – The Caddo Parish Commission voted...

Illinois Quick Hits: Community College reimbursement bill passed

(The Center Square) – A bill expanding state taxpayer-funded...

Report: Wisconsin would have made $43M annually on open sports wagering market

(The Center Square) – Wisconsin would have received an...

WATCH: Longview superintendent in court on obstruction charges in school sex assault case

(The Center Square) - Longview School District Superintendent Karen...

Tennessee congressman files articles of impeachment against Roberts

(The Center Square) – U.S. Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tennessee,...

More like this
Related

New York lawmakers approve ‘sanctuary’ state proposal

(The Center Square) — New York Democrats are moving...

California lawmakers discuss redistricting’s impact on House

Editor's note: This is part of a series on...

NASA reorganizes to accelerate Moon Base, lunar programs

NASA announced a reorganization of the agency Friday, restructuring...

Caddo Commission approves November vote on $60M sports complex

(The Center Square) – The Caddo Parish Commission voted...