spot_img

Hochul claims 9/11 program ‘gutted’ by federal changes

(The Center Square) — New York Gov. Kathy Hochul is accusing the Trump administration of “gutting” a federally funded program aimed at addressing chronic health problems facing police officers, firefighters and other first-responders to the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

On Wednesday, Hochul called on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Homeland Security to “undo” efforts to “gut essential services” provided through the World Trade Center Health Program by reassigning personnel to immigration enforcement and other priorities.

Hochul said staffing reductions in the WTC Health Program’s workforce “directly affects the health, safety, and long-term welfare of first-responders” to the terror attacks, including members of the New York State Police, the New York Police Department, the New York Fire Department and the Port Authority Police Department.

She called the program a “lifeline” for the survivors and first responders who answered the call almost 25 years ago and afterward without hesitation” saying they “deserve the same support from their government today.”

“Reducing staff for an essential health program that has already faced drastic cuts in order to support an out-of-control enforcement agency with a history of failing to protect Americans is reprehensible,” the Democrat said in a statement. “Our first responders and their families deserve better.”

- Advertisement -

Nearly 3,000 people were killed when terrorists crashed hijacked jetliners into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field in southwest Pennsylvania during the Sept. 11 attacks. More than 2,700 of those victims died in the collapse of the trade center’s iconic twin towers.

The governor’s demands are the latest back-and-forth between New York and the Trump administration over federal funding and support for 9/11 first responders, many of whom are still suffering from debilitating illnesses, including cancer, which require regular medical treatments.

Cuts to the 911 health program were proposed last year by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, but the federal agency backed away from the plans after top Republican and Democratic lawmakers decried the move.

The Trump administration last year also restored two federal grants and rehired 16 employees to the program who were laid off as part of cost-cutting by the White House’s Department of Government Efficiency after a federal judge determined the firings were unlawful.

The White House also faced a firestorm over reports that it was seeking to take over New York City’s memorial to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The memorial plaza, which includes two pools ringed by waterfalls, walls with the names of the dead, and an underground museum, is run by a New York-based public charity.

spot_img
spot_img

Hot this week

Health care company agrees to pay $22.5 million to settle claims of over billing

A health care company agreed to pay nearly $22.5...

Business association ‘disappointed’ by WA L&I’s proposed workers comp rate hike

(The Center Square) – The Association of Washington Business...

Men of Color Expo – Celebrating Men of Excellence

Tinker Federal Credit Union & PPBC Present Men of Color...

Sports betting bill still alive in Georgia House

(The Center Square) – A bill that would allow...

Sports betting expert offers advice on paying taxes for gambling winnings

(The Center Square) – Tax season is underway, and...

Trump pauses planned military strikes against Iran, cites further negotiations

Renewed military strikes against Iran have been postponed once...

Pritzker: Trump war to blame for high gas prices

(The Center Square) – Gov. J.B. Pritzker says everyone...

Democrats, Republicans both dip below 30%; independents near 40%

(The Center Square) – Five months and two weeks...

Los Angeles City Council delays $30 an hour minimum wage

(The Center Square) – The Los Angeles City Council's...

Exxon, Suncor urge SCOTUS to reject climate lawsuits

The U.S. Supreme Court now has the opening arguments...

Georgia judicial candidates appeal to U.S. Supreme Court over speech issue

(The Center Square) – Two Georgia Supreme Court candidates...

Congressional candidates discuss agriculture, healthcare

Editor's note: This is the part of a series...

More like this
Related

Trump pauses planned military strikes against Iran, cites further negotiations

Renewed military strikes against Iran have been postponed once...

Pritzker: Trump war to blame for high gas prices

(The Center Square) – Gov. J.B. Pritzker says everyone...

Democrats, Republicans both dip below 30%; independents near 40%

(The Center Square) – Five months and two weeks...