Marion County will have fun the 200th Anniversary of its founding with celebrations and occasions all year long. As a part of these celebrations, assorted Moments and Reminiscences from the previous 200 years will likely be shared each Saturday in 2020 within the Marion Star.
For a calendar of occasions and extra details about the bicentennial celebrations and actions, go to the Bicentennial Fb web page Marion County Ohio Bicentennial Celebration or www.marionhistory.com200.
The historic notes have been compiled and shared with the Star by the Marion Historic Society.
- Civil Conflict veteran George B. Christian Sr. was a lifelong good friend and mentor of Warren G. Harding. A local of Marion, Colonel Christian was a member of the outdated guard who guided the small citys political, enterprise and social lives. Christian Sr. lived within the neighborhood of Warren and Florence Harding, as did his son, George B. Christian Jr. The Christian and Harding households usually spent holidays collectively, traveled to Florida throughout Ohios chilly winters and picnicked on the Harding household homestead in Blooming Grove. Through the years, Christian and Harding took half in a full of life alternate of letters, which included inside jokes, mild ribbing, updates about baseball video games and heat Christmas needs. Christian outlived Harding by seven years, dying in 1930, and spent the final years of his life praising Harding as being an trustworthy man.
- George B. Christian, Jr., was the next-door neighbor to Warren and Florence Harding. When Harding was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1914, he selected Christian to be his private secretary. This relationship continued all through Hardings presidency. In 1923, Christian accompanied the president on his ill-fated journey to Alaska and the western states. When the president was suffering from coronary heart points in San Francisco, Christian delivered Hardings ready deal with to the Knights Templar in Hollywood.Whereas he was on this mission, the president died. After the presidents loss of life, Christian remained a supply of energy to Mrs. Harding.
- Daniel R. Crissinger was born in Marion County in 1860 and was a childhood good friend of Warren Harding. After graduating from Caledonia Excessive College in 1880, he attended Buchtel School in Akron. He began a profession practising regulation in Marion in 1886. He served as metropolis solicitor and in addition on a number of boards together with the Metropolis Nationwide Financial institution, Marion Steam Shovel, and the Marion Union Stockyards Firm. In 1921, he was nominated by Warren G. Harding to the put up of Comptroller of the Foreign money with the accountability of supervising all nationwide banks. In 1923, he was chosen because the governor (the title was modified to chairman in 1935) of the Federal Reserve Board the place he served till 1927. Crissingers fiscal administration strategy centered on offering simple credit score via low rates of interest.
- Whereas the phrase the facility behind the throne isn’t absolutely correct with reference to Florence Kling Harding, there’s little doubt that she performed a really vital function within the monetary and political success of her husband, Warren G. Harding. Florence acquired coaching at a younger age in a wide range of enterprise expertise from her father who was a profitable entrepreneur in Marion. She was additionally an achieved pianist who studied on the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music.After a failed first marriage which produced a son, she married Harding, a Marion newspaper writer, in 1891. For the subsequent 32 years, she acted as a sounding board for Harding as he progressed via the political ranks culminating along with his election as president of america in 1920.
- (Florence Harding Half II) Florence Harding grew to become extremely concerned in each the political and social points of being the First Girl of the U.S.Certainly one of her first actions was to encourage her husband to permit the general public extra entry to the White Home grounds. Due to her curiosity in ladiess causes, Mrs. Harding offered the White Home as a discussion board for feminine scientists, authors, musicians, athletes, and journalists. Often known as a classy dresser, Mrs. Harding hardly ever was seen with out a velvet or silk choker round her neck. In contrast to many ladies on the time, she was deeply involved in politics and world affairs and was not shy about voicing her opinions to her husband. She was an ardent supporter of a wide range of causes, with the welfare of disabled veterans of World Conflict I and the care of abused animals being foremost.
- Florence Harding Half III) Though raised as a Methodist, Florence Harding was open to the religious realm with an curiosity in astrology and clairvoyance, each of which have been in style after World Conflict I.Mrs. Harding was fiercely loyal to her husband even because the couple labored via the marital harm brought on by her husbands affairs. Mrs. Harding supposed to put in writing her memoirs, each to mirror on her personal life and to refute allegations of corruption hurled at her husband after his loss of life. Sadly, her declining well being prevented that endeavor. She died of nephritis and congestive coronary heart failure on Nov. 21, 1924, simply 15 months after her husbands loss of life.
- Marion County native Mary Ellen Withrow holds the excellence of being the one individual to function treasurer on the native, state, and nationwide governmental ranges. First elected treasurer of Marion County in 1976, she went on to function Ohio treasurer for three phrases starting in 1982 earlier than being appointed because the 40th Treasurer of america in 1994 by President Invoice Clinton. Throughout her time period as U.S. Treasurer, the $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 payments have been all redesigned. Mrs. Withrow has a museum positioned within the Primrose Retirement Neighborhood that includes many gadgets from her lengthy profession in public service.
click hear for more Finance Updates