Court orders FEMA to restore billions in disaster funding

A federal court has ordered the Federal Emergency Management Agency to restore billions of dollars in disaster mitigation funding following a lawsuit brought by a coalition of 23 states, including Michigan.

The order requires FEMA to take steps to reverse the termination of the Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities program, commonly known as BRIC, which the Trump administration had moved to end.

“For the past 30 years, the BRIC program has provided communities across the nation with resources to proactively fortify their infrastructure against natural disasters,” said Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel. “Disaster mitigation funding is critical to protecting our communities and saving lives.”

The coalition first sued in July 2025 after FEMA terminated the program, a move states said delayed, scaled back, or canceled hundreds of mitigation projects across the country.

A federal court ruled in favor of the states on Dec. 11, declaring the termination unlawful and ordering FEMA to reverse it. Months later, the administration had still not restored the funding, leading the coalition to file another motion in February asking the court to enforce the ruling.

- Advertisement -

Last week, the court granted that request.

The latest order requires FEMA to make pre-disaster mitigation funds available as required by statute, communicate the status of current BRIC projects to states and submit status reports to the court outlining any actions taken to comply.

The agency must also issue a fiscal year 2024 Notice of Funding Opportunity for the program within 21 days.

“I hope this order will compel this administration to finally make these funds available,” she added. “If it does not, my office will continue fighting to ensure Michiganders receive the services and support they are owed.”

Nationwide, FEMA has selected nearly 2,000 projects to receive roughly $4.5 billion in BRIC funding over the past four years. In Michigan, 24 projects have been selected totaling more than $29 million in federal funding.

The case is just one of many disputes between Nessel and the Trump administration over federal disaster funding.

- Advertisement -

As previously reported by The Center Square, Nessel has led or joined several lawsuits challenging changes to long-standing FEMA grant programs. In one case, Michigan successfully secured the release of roughly $100 million in FEMA grant reimbursements to the Michigan State Police.

Nessel has argued that recent federal policy changes have undermined disaster preparedness and shifted more responsibility for disaster response onto states.

“The Trump Administration should be working with states to keep our residents safe,” Nessel said in a previous lawsuit over FEMA grant conditions. “Instead, the White House continues again and again to pull the rug out from under us, putting the safety of our communities in jeopardy.”

While federal storm aid was often viewed as routine under previous administrations, the Trump administration has sought to prioritize federal assistance for only the most catastrophic disasters.

“The federal government focuses its support on truly catastrophic disasters—massive hurricanes, devastating earthquakes, or wide-scale attacks on the homeland,” said Brian Hughes, a spokesman for the National Security Council, in comments on the policy shift made last May.

Michigan was joined in the BRIC case by Democrat attorneys general from 20 states, the District of Columbia, and the governors of Pennsylvania and Kentucky.

spot_img
spot_img

Hot this week

Health care company agrees to pay $22.5 million to settle claims of over billing

A health care company agreed to pay nearly $22.5...

Men of Color Expo – Celebrating Men of Excellence

Men of Color Expo 2026 – Celebrating Men of...

Business association ‘disappointed’ by WA L&I’s proposed workers comp rate hike

(The Center Square) – The Association of Washington Business...

Sports betting bill still alive in Georgia House

(The Center Square) – A bill that would allow...

Sports betting expert offers advice on paying taxes for gambling winnings

(The Center Square) – Tax season is underway, and...

Audit shows New York won’t meet e-bus conversion target

(The Center Square) — New York's public transit system...

Prosecutors say ‘no dispute’ the 86 47 seashells could be Comey threat to Trump

“No serious dispute” is possible against an arrangement of...

Report Estimates 8 Million Americans Have Lost Health Coverage

(AURN News) — An estimated 8 million Americans have...

Wisconsin part of $140M grant to fund Amtrak locomotive improvements

(The Center Square) – The Wisconsin Department of Transportation...

Mamdani sues NYC Council over $10K teacher bonuses

(The Center Square) — New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani...

Report: Southern, rural states lead national highway deaths

(The Center Square) – Mississippi, Wyoming and Arkansas lead...

Illinois Quick Hits: Chicago out of running for 2028 DNC

(The Center Square) – Chicago will not be welcoming...

More like this
Related

Audit shows New York won’t meet e-bus conversion target

(The Center Square) — New York's public transit system...

Prosecutors say ‘no dispute’ the 86 47 seashells could be Comey threat to Trump

“No serious dispute” is possible against an arrangement of...

Report Estimates 8 Million Americans Have Lost Health Coverage

(AURN News) — An estimated 8 million Americans have...

Wisconsin part of $140M grant to fund Amtrak locomotive improvements

(The Center Square) – The Wisconsin Department of Transportation...