spot_img

Prosecutors seek more time in attempted Trump assassination case after hurricanes

As residents continued clean up from two hurricanes, federal prosecutors in Florida asked a judge for a brief delay to some court deadlines in the case of the man accused of trying to kill former President Donald Trump.

Prosecutors asked a judge to extend the initial discovery deadline by two days to Oct. 17 as a result of storm-related office closures at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Florida and the Federal Bureau of Investigation offices in the area.

Routh’s defense team did not object to the prosecution’s request.

Prosecutors accused Routh, 58, of Hawaii, of stalking Trump for a month before he built a sniper’s nest near the Trump International golf course in West Palm Beach.

Federal prosecutors charged Routh, of Hawaii, with possession of a firearm by a felon and possession of a firearm with an obliterated serial number and attempted assassination of a major presidential candidate.

- Advertisement -

Routh has pleaded not guilty.

An FBI agent detailed in court documents the inside of the alleged gunman’s sniper nest where prosecutors said he waited for hours with a scope-fitted rifle. A photo of the nest showed two bags hanging from a fence off the sixth hole. An FBI agent said the bags contained plates that could stop small arms fire. In between the two bags was an SKS rifle with a scope. Agents matched a fingerprint on the rifle to Routh.

Prosecutors said Routh had been planning to kill the former president for months. Agents found in Routh’s Nissan Xterra a handwritten list of dates in August, September, and October 2024 and venues where Trump had appeared or was expected to be present.

Routh also left a note. A resident of Hawaii and North Carolina and participant in the latter’s March 5 primary, Routh left the note with a person federal prosecutors described as a civilian witness several months before the Sept. 15 incident. The letter offered money to anyone who would finish the job.

The letter reads in part, “This was an assassination attempt on Donald Trump but I failed you. I tried my best and gave it all the gumption I could muster. It is up to you now to finish the job; and I will offer $150,000 to whomever can complete the job.”

Routh’s attorney chalked it all up to a publicity stunt.

- Advertisement -

A U.S. Secret Service agent, a hole ahead of Trump walking the perimeter, spotted a rifle sticking out from the tree line. The agent fired in the direction of the rifle before a witness told authorities Routh sped away in a Nissan sport utility vehicle.

Routh’s cellphone records indicated he had been camped out from 1:59 a.m. to 1:31 p.m., according to a criminal complaint filed in the federal case.

Authorities caught Routh on Interstate 95.

spot_img
spot_img

Hot this week

Health care company agrees to pay $22.5 million to settle claims of over billing

A health care company agreed to pay nearly $22.5...

Business association ‘disappointed’ by WA L&I’s proposed workers comp rate hike

(The Center Square) – The Association of Washington Business...

Men of Color Expo – Celebrating Men of Excellence

Tinker Federal Credit Union & PPBC Present Men of Color...

Sports betting bill still alive in Georgia House

(The Center Square) – A bill that would allow...

Sports betting expert offers advice on paying taxes for gambling winnings

(The Center Square) – Tax season is underway, and...

Powell out, Warsh in as new chair of Federal Reserve

Kevin Warsh, an economist and former member of the...

Bill to let felons vote from prison draws criticism from Republicans

(The Center Square) – Some Democrats and electoral rights...

Supreme Court yet to decide high profile cases

(The Center Square) — Birthright citizenship, transgender athletes and...

Seattle’s new economic development director wants to end business roadblocks

(The Center Square) - Seattle’s new Economic Development Director...

Gabbard announces resignation, cites personal reasons

Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard announced her resignation...

Comptroller, Chicago officials debate tax fund sweeps

(The Center Square) – Illinois Comptroller Susana Mendoza and...

WATCH: Christian foster parents win major First Amendment settlement in case against DCYF

(The Center Square) - Washington’s Department of Children, Youth,...

More like this
Related

Powell out, Warsh in as new chair of Federal Reserve

Kevin Warsh, an economist and former member of the...

Bill to let felons vote from prison draws criticism from Republicans

(The Center Square) – Some Democrats and electoral rights...

Supreme Court yet to decide high profile cases

(The Center Square) — Birthright citizenship, transgender athletes and...

Seattle’s new economic development director wants to end business roadblocks

(The Center Square) - Seattle’s new Economic Development Director...