spot_img

Tillis to Hegseth: Choose meritocracy over your mediocre yes-men

(The Center Square) – Gen. Chris Donahue, former key leader aboard Fort Bragg and in the 2021 Afghanistan withdrawal, got a strong backing from an outgoing North Carolina senator amid speculation War Secretary Pete Hegseth may change his command.

“Keep your word, Mr. Secretary: choose meritocracy over your mediocre yes-men,” Republican Sen. Thom Tillis said Saturday.

News broke Friday, based on multiple sources, the Pentagon would downgrade U.S. Army Europe-Africa to a three-star command. Donahue has led the command since Dec. 10, 2024, overcoming his nomination being held up in the Senate by former Sen. Markwayne Mullin, R-Okla.

Mullin last month joined Hegseth in the Cabinet of second-term Republican President Donald Trump when he became secretary of Homeland Security.

“The careless decision to reduce our force posture in Europe, along with moves by Pete Hegseth and his political henchmen to force out some of our finest general officers, is amateur hour at best and deadly at worst,” said Tillis, the second-term senior senator from the Old North State not seeking reelection.

- Advertisement -

Donahue and the 82nd Airborne got a pivotal call by the Biden administration, brought in to bolster security when the exit from Kabul went awry. He was the last American serviceman out.

At his change of command ceremony 17 months ago, U.S. European Command leader Gen. Chris Cavoli said of Donahue, “Without a doubt, the most experienced warfighter we have in the U.S. Army.”

Donahue has deployed more than 20 times, inclusive of every major military operation since the turn of the century.

Hegseth on April 2 fired Gen. Randy George, former chief of staff for the Army, in what was described by the Pentagon as immediate retirement. Gen. Christopher LaNeve, serving in the interim, and Donahue are considered possible successors.

Hegseth, criticized by more than just Tillis, has also overseen Maj. Gen. William Green removed as chief of Army chaplains and Gen. David Hodne removed as commanding general of Army Transformation and Training Command.

“If the rumors are true that Hegseth is trying to sideline General Chris Donahue, one of our nation’s finest warfighters, by downgrading U.S. Army Europe-Africa to a 3-star command, he is taking another step down a dangerous path,” Tillis said. “A step that is not in the best interests of our nation or our servicemembers.

- Advertisement -

“General Donahue has dedicated his entire career to upholding the high standards and warrior ethos that Hegseth claims he is restoring to our ranks. Gen. Donahue has led soldiers at all levels in Airborne, including Ft. Bragg’s 82nd, and Mechanized units, the 75th Ranger Regiment, and our most prestigious special operation units. He deployed over 20 times in support of Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, New Dawn, Inherent Resolve, Atlantic Resolve, Freedom’s Sentinel, European Assure, Deter and Reinforce, and in support of the Sudan crisis.”

spot_img
spot_img

Hot this week

Health care company agrees to pay $22.5 million to settle claims of over billing

A health care company agreed to pay nearly $22.5...

Business association ‘disappointed’ by WA L&I’s proposed workers comp rate hike

(The Center Square) – The Association of Washington Business...

Men of Color Expo – Celebrating Men of Excellence

Tinker Federal Credit Union & PPBC Present Men of Color...

Sports betting bill still alive in Georgia House

(The Center Square) – A bill that would allow...

Sports betting expert offers advice on paying taxes for gambling winnings

(The Center Square) – Tax season is underway, and...

Questions Grow Over Trump’s $1.776 Billion “Anti-Weaponization Fund”

WASHINGTON (AURN News) — During a White House briefing,...

Mich. House approves bill to regulate lawsuit-investors

Michigan lawmakers have advanced a bill that would target...

Lawmakers shutdown Democrat proposal to redraw Baton Rouge judge districts

(The Center Square) — Louisiana House Republicans on Tuesday...

Illinois Quick Hits: Group files lawsuit against gun owner ID law

(The Center Square) – A new challenge to Illinois’...

DeSantis says property tax relief next after budget is finalized

(The Center Square) – Gov. Ron DeSantis is continuing...

Pasco to spend $70k addressing illegal taco, fruit stands in Tri-Cities

(The Center Square) - Pasco is launching a six-month...

Virginia revenues surge amid data center debate

(The Center Square) – Virginia revenues are running hundreds...

Early voting begins, another poll shows Cornyn, Paxton statistically tied

(The Center Square) – As early voting began on...

More like this
Related

Questions Grow Over Trump’s $1.776 Billion “Anti-Weaponization Fund”

WASHINGTON (AURN News) — During a White House briefing,...

Mich. House approves bill to regulate lawsuit-investors

Michigan lawmakers have advanced a bill that would target...

Lawmakers shutdown Democrat proposal to redraw Baton Rouge judge districts

(The Center Square) — Louisiana House Republicans on Tuesday...

Illinois Quick Hits: Group files lawsuit against gun owner ID law

(The Center Square) – A new challenge to Illinois’...