(The Center Square) – Virginia’s congressional field is changing quickly after court rulings kept the commonwealth’s current congressional map in place, leading several Democratic candidates to suspend or end campaigns tied to proposed new districts.
The Virginia Supreme Court last week struck down an April 21 redistricting referendum, ruling lawmakers violated constitutional requirements tied to the amendment process.
The U.S. Supreme Court later declined to intervene, leaving Virginia’s current congressional districts in place for the 2026 election cycle.
The rulings forced campaigns that had already launched under the proposed map to quickly decide whether to continue, suspend operations or shift into existing districts ahead of Virginia’s filing deadline later this month.
Several candidates announced within days that their campaigns were ending or being suspended.
Former federal prosecutor J.P. Cooney said the ruling marked “the end of my congressional campaign,” while adding that “our movement to fight corruption and lawlessness is just beginning.”
State Sen. Saddam Azlan Salim said, “While the court’s decision ends this campaign,” “the fight continues.”
House Democratic Campaigns Chairman Del. Dan Helmer announced he was suspending his congressional campaign following the ruling, saying “our candidacy for Congress has ended.”
Former first lady Dorothy McAuliffe also suspended her campaign, saying Virginia voters “showed up, spoke clearly” before the courts blocked the map from taking effect.
Del. Elizabeth Guzman announced she would suspend her congressional campaign and continue serving the residents of House District 22.
Del. Adele McClure similarly said her campaign was ending because “the district I launched this campaign to represent no longer exists.”
Much of the fallout centered around the proposed 7th Congressional District, where Democrats including Cooney, Guzman, Helmer, McAuliffe, McClure and Salim had launched campaigns before the courts blocked the new map from taking effect.
Bree Fram had also launched a campaign in the proposed 11th District before suspending her bid.
Former congressman Tom Perriello, who represented Virginia’s 5th Congressional District from 2009 to 2011, is now running in Virginia’s current 5th District against Republican Rep. John McGuire after the proposed map was struck down.
Virginia Public Access Project candidate trackers still listed several withdrawn or suspended candidates as of Monday afternoon, highlighting how quickly the election field has shifted following the rulings.
Virginia’s filing deadline for congressional races is May 26. Congressional primaries are scheduled for Aug. 4.





