Platner drops campaign for Maine’s U.S. Senate seat

(The Center Square) – Graham Platner, the controversial Democratic nominee for Maine’s U.S. Senate seat, dropped out of the race Wednesday amid intense scrutiny over new sexual assault allegations from a former girlfriend.

The alleged assault was first reported by Politico, which said the woman — Jenny Racicot, 41 — claimed the attack occurred in the Maine town where she lived in 2021 when she and Platner were dating.

Platner denied the claims in a video message posted on social media, but said he would take time to “reflect” on how to proceed with his Senate campaign. He canceled several campaign events for Sunday and Monday.

On Wednesday, he reiterated that Racicot’s claims are “not remotely true.”

“Over the past couple of days, I have faced some serious allegations, and I just want to make it clear, this is all false,” he said. “The things that have been claimed did not happen. It’s not real.”

- Advertisement -

My name might be on the ballot right now, but that ballot line belongs to the people of Maine. pic.twitter.com/RKVyLU76tm— Graham Platner for Senate (@grahamformaine) July 9, 2026

He went on to blame the corporate media system and the political establishment for acting as “judge, jury and executioner” in a conspiracy to thwart his populist agenda.

“They would rather see Susan Collins win than have me be the next senator from Maine,” he said.

Meanwhile, prominent Democrats across the nation who once backed him reversed course, calling on the Marine veteran and oyster farmer to withdraw from the race ahead of a July 13 deadline to replace him.

On the latter issue, reports surfaced Tuesday that Democrats across the state were lining up to replace Platner, including several of the candidates that lost to him in the primary election last month.

The race is considered a key plank of Democrats’ push to retake the Senate — where Republicans currently have a 53-47 majority.

- Advertisement -

The first-time candidate has been dogged by allegations of excessive drinking, infidelity, scandals involving explicit text messages, past online comments and a covered-up Nazi tattoo.

Despite this, recent polls showed Platner leading sitting Republican U.S. Sen. Susan Collins among likely voters.

“This is incredibly difficult because I know that some will think it’s an admission of guilt and it most certainly is not,” Platner said Wednesday in a video posted to X. “We are not doing it because of the allegations, we are doing it because of the structures that are being taken away from us by those in power.”

spot_img
spot_img

Hot this week

Health care company agrees to pay $22.5 million to settle claims of over billing

A health care company agreed to pay nearly $22.5...

Men of Color Expo – Celebrating Men of Excellence

Men of Color Expo 2026 – Celebrating Men of...

Business association ‘disappointed’ by WA L&I’s proposed workers comp rate hike

(The Center Square) – The Association of Washington Business...

Sports betting bill still alive in Georgia House

(The Center Square) – A bill that would allow...

Sports betting expert offers advice on paying taxes for gambling winnings

(The Center Square) – Tax season is underway, and...

Former lawyer avoids prison in DSS scheme separating children from parents

(The Center Square) – Scott Lindsay, the former lawyer...

Illinois Quick Hits: State announces $50M for community health construction

(The Center Square) – Gov. J.B. Pritzker, the Illinois...

Measure impacting 3-D printers in California amended, advanced to third reading

(The Center Square) – Legislators in California are hearing...

Caddo DA candidate vows aggressive, faster prosecutions to improve safety

(The Center Square) – Caddo Parish District Attorney candidate...

U.S. national debt hits $40 trillion

The United States government passed a sobering milestone Wednesday...

Tobacco Road Classic gives Carolina, N.C. State rivalry addition

(The Center Square) – Rivalry tradition having been buried...

Board approves higher Illinois tolls

(The Center Square) – Illinois tollway users will be...

More like this
Related

Former lawyer avoids prison in DSS scheme separating children from parents

(The Center Square) – Scott Lindsay, the former lawyer...

Illinois Quick Hits: State announces $50M for community health construction

(The Center Square) – Gov. J.B. Pritzker, the Illinois...

Measure impacting 3-D printers in California amended, advanced to third reading

(The Center Square) – Legislators in California are hearing...

Caddo DA candidate vows aggressive, faster prosecutions to improve safety

(The Center Square) – Caddo Parish District Attorney candidate...