Suspect accused in Penn Square Mall shooting turns self in to police

Suspect accused in Penn Square Mall shooting turns self in to police

The man accused of shooting a man inside Penn Square Mall on Thursday afternoon has been identified and arrested after turning himself in to police early Friday morning.

“There was a fight in our store, dude pulled a gun out and started shooting,” a caller said to a 911 dispatcher from inside Penn Square Mall on Thursday afternoon. “There’s blood on the floor, so someone definitely got hit.”

That was one of several calls to 911.

“Penn square mall is getting shot up,” another caller told dispatch.

“Where? Where at the mall?” the dispatcher asked.

“I don’t know. I work at American Eagle,” the caller replied.

“Did you see where, did you see anything that happened,” the dispatcher asked.

“I heard about eight gunshots and everybody screaming,” the caller replied.

Those calls came in shortly after the alleged shooter, now identified as 24-year-old Elizha Sanders, fired several shots inside Foot Locker.

“I heard just POP, POP, POP, POP, and saw people running,” a witness told News 4 at the scene.

It started with a fight that was captured on cell phone video. The fight allegedly involved Sanders and the victim, 22-year-old Gerron Cobb.

According to the arrest warrant, the two had issues in the past and “began exchanging words,” which led to a physical fight and then, “Sanders reached into his pants and retrieved a firearm.”

After he allegedly shot Cobb in the chest, Cobb “began crawling out of the store with Sanders continuing to shoot at him,” according to court documents.

The affidavit said Cobb was struck at least two times by the bullets.

“Throughout the review of the security cameras in the mall, we determined the suspect had actually left the building,” Capt. Larry Withrow with the OCPD said.

Police searched the property for several hours Thursday night, not sure if Sanders was still inside the mall or if he ran out before officers arrived on scene.

About nine hours later, it all came to an end.

“They were able to make contact with Mr. Sanders’ father, and his father convinced him to contact police and then turn himself in,” Withrow said.

Officers met Sanders in the parking lot of the Warren Theatre in Moore around 1:30 a.m. Friday and arrested him on one complaint of assault with a deadly weapon.

Cobb is still recovering from serious injuries.

To read more, subscribe to the blackchronicle newspaper.

Follow by Email