Since its beginnings within the mid-1940’s, the Urban League of Larger Oklahoma Metropolis has had as its mission “to help African-Individuals, different minorities and the poor to obtain social and financial equality,” mentioned Dr. Valerie Thompson, president and chief govt officer.
In giving a short historical past of the Urban League, Dr. Thompson outlined phases:
Part I (1946-1957)
A interval throughout which there was the acceptance of Blacks as apprentices in native unions occurred, in addition to the doorway of Black ladies in native hospital-based nursing coaching,” Dr. Thompson identified.
“The primary govt director of the Urban League, Cenoria D. Johnson, was appointed and the Urban League was housed within the basement of the Stiles Avenue YWCA (positioned at N. Stiles at NE Second Streets),” Dr. Thompson mentioned.
She mentioned the next developments in Oklahoma Metropolis’s historical past have been led to due to the Urban League’s management:
- The hiring of the primary 12 Black firemen;
- The hiring of the primary Black bus drivers
- The acceptance of Blacks as apprentices in native unions;
- The doorway of Black ladies in native hospital-based nursing coaching;
- The appointment of Blacks to main native and state boards and fee.
- 1958-1967…Adoption of stand alone public housing.
- Part II (1968-1977)
- A Group Group Division was established to educate organizational abilities to grass roots residents and to help them within the “how to’s” of political involvement and residents’ participation.
- Part III (1978-198)
- Applications have been established, such because the Black Adoption Mission, Equal Alternative Day (EOD), Annual Well being Festivals, Youth Group, Media Heart and Minority Expertise Financial institution.
- Part IV (1988-1997)
- A grant from the Division of Commerce funded the Minority Enterprise Growth Heart, which supplied skilled help to minority folks wanting to begin their very own enterprise. Leonard Benton retires as Government Director.
- Part V (1999-Current)
- Persevering with to stage the taking part in subject of alternative and eliminating the “alternative hole” that separates the African American neighborhood from mainstream America.
(Dr. Thompson was named president throughout this part.
“The Nationwide Urban League’s motto—‘Our Kids Equals Our Future’– is carried out via the various applications the Urban League affords,” Dr. Thompson mentioned.
The departments of the city League:
- Schooling and Workforce Growth (Provides weekly job-readiness courses and résumé-writing)
- Youth Growth and Household Help (Offers meals vouchers, after-school mentoring)
- Housing Growth
- Financial Growth
The city League is regularly enhancing the lives of youngsters and households within the Oklahoma Metropolis space, a press release mentioned.
By working to get rid of the “alternative hole,” the Urban League continues to stage the taking part in subject of alternative and get rid of each hole that separates the African-American neighborhood from mainstream America, the assertion continued.
The league has a brand new digital laptop heart, which serves as an employment service device throughout the mornings and as an after-school program within the afternoons.
Moreover, via a partnership with the Nationwide Urban League and Scholastic Books, the Urban League has supplied greater than 10,000 books to kids .
Someday in the past, the league expanded its operation into a brand new 22,000 sq. ft. facility (which beforehand was the Eastside YMCA Constructing).